Monday, August 3, 2015

MakerSpaces

At InnEdCo this year, one thing that kept sticking out to me was the problem we face trying to make learning a more active endeavor for our kids. This is something I strive for, I don't want my classroom to be a passive environment. However, upon reflection of my own practice, when it comes right down to it, I expect my kids to "sit and get" more than I want to. So, what to do?

At the same conference I also heard a lot about MakerSpaces and it seemed like setting this up would be a great step in the ACTIVE direction. So I talked to my principal and while we still have a lot of tweaking to do (mainly who will supervise and when will it be open), we're going to set one up in one of our empty classrooms. I'm excited because really think this will be a FANTASTIC thing for our kids. It may not be a direct link to making learning more active in my room but I think having this kind of learning spot in our building will help to foster an "active learning" mindset in my students.

Have any of you done something like this? Do you have any ideas of what we should include? I'd LOVE any and all ideas/suggestion you all have and I'll keep you posted on how it goes! If you're not familiar with MakerSpaces, check out the video links below.

 This first video is from a HS ... The Principal of this school was at InnEdCO and he was so inspiring! New Jersey HS

 This one is from an elementary school and features so LEGO products and Makey Makey's which I have already so we could start with these materials. Dousman Elementary

 This one is LONG but its a good starting point for people who have never heard of MakerSpaces. What is a MakerSpace

2 comments:

  1. Woo-hoo!! Way to go, Julia! Way to go, Field! I love that you have the space and ability to build a Makerspace at Field. I can imagine ALL students thriving as they utilize this.

    For GT students, I think it's a great way to "play" through failures. Let me expand... So many of our students struggle with anxiety and perfectionism. The Makerspace area becomes a safe area where mistakes are expected and celebrated as steps forward. If they can learn it and practice it while building a circuit, sewing a cover for their favorite book, or practicing for a paper airplane contest, then they can work towards applying it in other areas of their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia,
    I am SO excited to think about this idea! Of course as Laura outlined, what a way to INSPIRE INQUIRY!
    What really gets me going is thinking how this could tie into reading and writing! We certainly can find ties to all CCSS of reading, writing, speaking, communicating...
    I found this article as a starter - and to be honest, I think I might present this idea to our principal at Peabody. Thank you for the inspiration!
    http://www.librarymediaconnection.com/pdf/lmc/reviews_and_articles/featured_articles/Hall_November_December2014.pdf

    ReplyDelete